In our constant search for weekend getaway options, we stumbled upon Colorado Cabin Adventures in Grand Lake. And I’m so happy we did! These adorable and rustic cabins are located right by the shores of Shadow Mountain Lake – the perfect place for a peaceful mountain getaway!
Grand Lake is about a 2-3 hour drive from Denver depending on the route you take. The shorter option is up I-70 to U.S.-40 (through Winter Park), then east on U.S.-34. However, when Trail Ridge Road is open, going the long way through Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park is always a treat. Just make sure to check if the road is still open for the season before you head out. Colorado Cabin Adventures is just outside of Downtown Grand Lake on U.S.-34.
Quick Tip: Before you leave, fill up on gasoline and pack a big cooler full of groceries and drinks. Small mountain towns are lovely, but the prices for food and other essentials can be a bit high. Luckily, the cabins have kitchens, outdoor grills and picnic spots, so you can make yourself at home.
The Cozy Cabins
With multiple options available, Colorado Cabin Adventures can accommodate families big and small – and they are pet friendly, too! We stayed in the Brownie – a one bedroom, one bathroom cabin that was perfect for the two of us. It included a fireplace, kitchen, and everything else we needed for a wonderful weekend escape (including Wifi, a fan, a heater and extra blankets)! And the bed was really comfy, which is always a great bonus!
Having an actual kitchen was really great and convenient, too. It had a fridge with a freezer, oven with a 4-burner stovetop, plus all the pots, pans, plates and silverware we needed. There was also a grill on the front porch and fire pit out back – for the more outdoorsy cooks!
After a long day of hiking and exploring, getting to kick back and enjoy some tea next to the fire is such a treat. And our window even looked out on the river!
Check out this video tour of our accommodations for a more detailed view of the cabin:
- Shadow Mountain Lake: We were super excited to discover the perfect sunrise spot at Pine Beach. And it was only a .15-mile walk from our cabin! Just follow alongside the river, through the private property area (they allow you to walk through – just no fishing) and to the shores of Shadow Mountain Lake. If you are lucky, you may even see a moose!
- Rocky Mountain National Park: The west-side entrance to RMNP is under 20 minutes from the cabins. This side of the park has countless gorgeous trails, lakes and vistas to enjoy. Plus, you are more likely to see moose on this side of the park and it is also home to the Continental Divide!
- Downtown Grand Lake: This unique little town is a must-see. With quirky shops, multiple options for dining, dessert and drinks, and even an arcade – there is something for everyone!
Our experience with Colorado Cabin Adventures was complimentary, however our opinions are always our own.
Want more tips for Rocky Mountain National Park? Read more:
- 3 Short Strolls in RMNP
- Stargazing in Rocky Mountain National Park
- Easy Winter Hike: Bierstadt Lake
- 3 Short Snow Hikes in RMNP
- Weekend Getaway Guide: Grand Lake
For more great Colorado hikes and activities for every season, check out our Colorado travel page.